Monday, February 19, 2007

For the birds... (and bats)

With some snow on the ground (not as much as we wish or as needed for the Birkebeiner) and with very cold temperatures, we have been concerned about our little feathered friends. So shortly after arriving here, we put one of our bird feeders back up and filled it with sunflower seeds. In return, we have been blessed all day every day with nuthatches, chickadees, purple finches, and gold finches. Today, I'll have to refill the feeder for the third time. The birds seem very happy, and we very much enjoy their cheerful presence.



When I stepped down from my assignment as Interim VP a couple of years ago, my friends in the office gave me a few "farewell" gifts. Aware of my growing interest in woodworking, their gifts included a book of birdhouses that I could build. In anticipation of spring and using this great book of plans, I decided to build some wood duck houses to dot around the property. The book also has a plan for bat houses, and since a population of them in the vicinity can do much to reduce insects (especially mosquitoes), I decided to build a couple of bat houses as well. Here are the finished products, pre-painting and hanging. I intend to get them all placed in trees (wood duck houses) or near the garage (bat houses) before we head back home at the end of the week. It will be fun to see if we find tenants when we return.

2 comments:

Betsy said...

What a great gift that was! Wish I had thought of it. Your attitude (tolerance?) towards bats seems to have much improved since my childhood. I guess it helps if they have their own house and don't need to enter yours.

Carrie and Rob said...

Bats = awesome. Hopefully you won't get eaten alive by Mosquitos once those are up.