Sunday, June 10, 2007

My Daughter, The Wood Worker

Some of you may have already seen Betsy's posting (if not, click here) about the gardening workbench we built together for her. That was a really fun day for me, and I think for her. We haven't worked together on projects very often, so it was a real privilege for me to get to do something with her. Anyway, I took my own share of photographs that day and thought you might like to see them as well.

For starters, in spite of what her brothers might think, Betsy proved to be quite proficient when it came to operating the power tools. Here she is cutting a piece of wood with my miter saw. She paid good attention to such things as "measure twice, cut once" and to properly keeping her hands and fingers away from the spinning blade. I liked it that she was willing to give everything a try, but then what would I expect from a daughter of mine?


Here is Betsy fastening one of the supports that connect the upper workspace to the lower part of the bench.


In Betsy's posting, there is an action video of her driving a screw down to fasten a shelf to the back of the bench. Here is the companion still shot of that same step. I guess these pictures prove that Betsy did most of the work, while I watched and took photographs.


Finally, here are the happy builders with their finished project. Note the proud father!

2 comments:

Carrie and Rob said...

Very nice. Glad to see she didn't cut any of her fingers off.

Anonymous said...

Good post.