Thursday, October 18, 2007

Maryann and Barbara

Why do we allow so much time to pass and not stay in better touch with those who are dear to us? When Paula and I were young, we periodically got to spend time with two very special cousins--Maryann and Barbara. (I can't say "Maryann" and not have "and Barbara" roll right off my tongue!) Unfortunately, as we entered our adolescent and adult years, we became so involved in our own lives that we failed to maintain these ties. Our respective parents were connected, and through them, we would hear occasional news about our cousins, but with the loss of our parents, even these opportunities diminished. The good news is, though, that retirement and personal interests have compelled me to work at correcting these kinds of situations. So, after some recent exchanges of emails, I had the distinct privilege this last Monday evening of meeting Maryann and Barbara for dinner.


Not one of the three of us could recall with any certainty the last time we had seen each other, but it may very well have been 20 years or more. Here are the three of us (Barbara, me, Maryann) circa 1947-1948. Don't you just love their bonnets and my matching coat and cap?


And here are the three of us at dinner on Monday.


We just about closed the restaurant, even though we met there at 6PM for dinner. We talked and talked, caught up on our respective lives, and shared pictures with each other of our children, grandchildren, spouses, and others. We agreed that we need to continue to stay in touch and to get together periodically. We were all sorry that others, including their sister Kathy and my sister Paula, couldn't have joined us. But this is something we can and will correct as we go forward. As I said at the outset, Maryann and Barbara and Paula and I enjoyed being together when we were young. (Paula: One of the first things Maryann recalled at dinner was the famous story about how she and I conspired to try to frighten you and Barbara one evening at their house. You will know the details, of course!! So many of us remember this story, that I guess it must really be true!!) Anyway, in closing, here are all four of us many years ago.

1 comment:

Janice and Mike said...

Bill,
WHen are you coming to CA> I'd love to see you!