Thursday, August 14, 2008

Leach Endorses Obama

Jim Leach, one of Iowa's most respected Republicans and a long-time former Congressman, yesterday came out in support of Barack Obama. You can read about it here as well as in a number of other Iowa online newspapers. Mr. Leach is someone with whom I interacted frequently when I served as part of the UI's administration, including meeting with him in his office in Washington. He is among a very small number of Republicans for whom I have regularly voted. I have great regard for him. He is a genuinely nice person, is always thoughtful, and brings great intelligence to his work.

I find this endorsement exciting and very good news. Although I usually try to stay away from politics and similar issues on this blog site, I urge everyone who regularly reads this blog to study this endorsement and to further consider voting for Mr. Obama. I am very deeply distressed about the state of this nation and the prospects for my children's and my grandchildren's futures. Some say Mr. Obama has too little experience. I say it is time for us to break the chain of "same thinking" that so many politicians with too much experience keep in Washington--a fresh approach can do us a world of good, and I mean that both literally and figuratively. The Bush administration has been a huge disaster for us, and I cannot find any hope in the candidacy of John McCain. Perpetuation of a conservative, intolerant, Republican administration will only further weaken the position of this nation in this world and threaten its very existence. Though it may have become trite to say so, it is time for change.

No comments: