Sunday, February 22, 2009

Island Shelves

Not much news to report, but I thought I'd keep something going here with a couple items.

First, for those of you interested in fishing and "fish stories", we recently received an email with some attached amazing pictures of an enormous Northern Pike that was supposedly caught in Canada some years ago, although there is debate about the exact origin of this story. Via Google, I have found numerous other instances of these pictures and comments about them. One of the best is here, but they appear here too, and this latter one contains lots of related, interesting commentary. Even if you don't care about fishing, the last picture in the set of three is pretty amazing. I urge you to take a quick look.

Second, we have long thought that a set of shelves could be placed under the edge of the island in our kitchen here at the lake and free up some cabinet space as well as provide a place for sodas, beer, and wine and whatever else. So, last October I took very careful measurements, two or three times, of the available space under the island and carried that information back to IA. Last month, I built a set of shelves, and we brought them here with us on this trip. In spite of the "measure twice--cut once" mantra, I messed up somehow and made the shelves one foot too long, although I got the height right, fortunately. As Homer Simpson would say, "D'oh!" So, I spent my first day up here taking 6" off each end and reassembling and sanding the shelves. Then, I spent several days varnishing the whole thing, which I had planned to do here anyway. Now they fit. I still don't know how I messed up. Maybe I wrote the measurements down wrong. More likely, I read them wrong or simply goofed when transferring measurements to boards. Anyway, all's well that ends well.

In looking at this again, it sort of seems like we are displaying products for sale. Obviously, that is not our intent. For example, I can obviously store lots more beer than shown, something important to note!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice recovery! But I see another project down the line. Doors for the shelves?