Saturday, January 09, 2010

Looking Back At Christmas

I didn't get around to posting these pictures earlier, but I thought my readers might still enjoy seeing a few shots from our various Christmas celebrations. Kathie, her mother and I spent the day together. We had a great dinner the evening before, so we had lots of good leftovers to enjoy and very nice gifts to open.


Josey must have eaten at least twice her usual amount on Christmas day, because all of her gifts involved treats. So she had lots of snacks in addition to her usual allowances.

A few days later, other family members gathered. Henry had to show me his remote controlled skunk (really!). Not everyone has one of these!

Eleanor played for awhile with some of our toys.

Then, Kathie and I decided to engage everyone in a game of "Fox and Geese." We tromped out paths in the snow and then taught the grandchildren how to play. We all had a really fun time--some games you just don't forget.


While Kathie prepared cocoa for an after-game treat, there was some clowning around.


Then there was cocoa, which requires lots of stirring in order to blend the Cool Whip (we were out of marshmallows).

The next day, Will and Sandy arrived, and we gathered again for dinner and gifts. Kathie had spent most of 2009 making these bags for the three "girls." (I can call them girls if I want. I know they are all successful young women, but I like to think of them as my girls.)

Henry got a new shirt from his Uncle Van, but I think we have indoctrinated him in Hawkeyeness enough so that there will be no worries.

Eleanor and Clara have new slings for their dollies. Clara liked hers. She was just tired of having to pose for so many pictures.

I had been ready for quite some time for Eleanor and Clara to open their Christmas gifts. Earlier in the year, I had purchased two very nice music box movements. You may recall my posting last September about the ancient wood called kauri. I used some of the kauri board I bought then to make each of these little sweeties a music box with the movements installed in them.


Will, Sandy and Anders stayed with us an extra day. So, Kathie took this "three generations" picture.

I think the holidays were extra nice this year.

1 comment:

Janice and Mike said...

The music boxes are beautiful! I bought a music box when we lived in Switzerland that looks very much like these. I have promised it to my grandaughter, and she loves playing with it every time she comes. You did a beautiful job on them, Bill!