Sunday, November 10, 2013

A Green Surprise

My sneaky but wonderful spouse caught me completely unaware and surprised me with a new toy recently. When I got home from Wisconsin a couple days ago and parked in the garage, I looked to my left and wondered why my tractor was parked at an odd angle. Then I noticed it seemed much brighter green than it should have been. Then I noticed it was a brand new one. I'd been looking at them for a couple years, and while I was in Wisconsin tending to our new garage, Kathie was still at home trading in my 18-year-old John Deere tractor on a brand new one. The old one had well more than 1000 hours of use on it, which is roughly equal to mowing and other work 24/7 for six straight weeks. (It is hard for me to think I've spent that much of my life on a tractor, although it is surely much more than that given all the hours I spent on tractors working the fields and doing chores for my dad during my younger years.)

Anyway, this new tractor, a John Deere X739 for those who are into such things, is sweeeeet and only has one hour on it as of this afternoon. It works great and has a number of new features, including the ability to install the mower deck by driving the tractor up over it and then snapping a couple things into place. The old one required a fair amount of time and labor to accomplish the same thing, lots of it with me lying on the ground reaching under the tractor to connect the power-take-off, hydraulics, and other things. This one is also all wheel drive (should be great for plowing snow) and all wheel steering (makes trimming around trees and other yard items very easy).


You can take the boy off the farm, but you can't get the boy off the tractor.


(We were raking and burning leaves today, hence the smoke!)


1 comment:

Jackie said...

Boys and their toys! Pretty nice surprise...that Kathie, she's a sneaky one.