Monday, June 01, 2015

First Fish (Alternate Title: Gomer Glasses)

I've been wanting to post something here since we arrived at the lake last Wednesday evening. My first catch of the season seems like a good excuse to do that. Got him or her on my first cast too! I know he looks a little small in this photo, but then I'm such a big guy that even this nice 11" Black Crappie seems small by comparison. When we keep Crappie to eat, we only keep them at 10" or better. I caught another smaller one on my second or third cast, but after that the action slowed to a crawl. It was beautiful on the lake though and nice to get out for a first time.


I know my kids will see these new sunglasses and may start calling me a gomer or a geezer for choosing this style. They are a brand called Fit Overs and are large so that they can be worn over one's regular glasses. I like this better than messing with clip-ons. Also, they are quite inexpensive compared to a new pair of prescription sunglasses by a factor of ten to one. The other things I like are the large lenses and the incorporation of side lenses; both of these things shield my peripheral vision. So, I may look like an old guy with these and you may wish to call me a gomer/geezer, but all I can say is that I am a geezer and keeping cataracts at bay is a reasonable thing to do. At least I am not doing comb-overs yet or wearing double knit slacks.

We are here at the lake later this year than normal by about the two months we spent getting Kathie those new knees. It is great to be here, and we have been sprucing the place up (mowing, planting flowers and a new tree, trimming, etc.) and getting some of our creature comforts in place (hot tub is cleaned and fired up, deck furniture is out and ready for use, boat is in the water, etc.). Really nice to enjoy these activities, but also really nice to just kick back with a book and enjoy the peace this place offers us. We look forward to the visits that many of you will be making up here to share some of that peacefulness with us.

2 comments:

MaggieP said...

Nothing wrong with sunnies, Bill. Glad about the double knit slacks! The fish looks ok. Hope you get some more. Sounds like the hot tub will get a work out! Good for Kathie's knees too, as well as the red wine being filled with antioxidants. Xxx

Jackie said...

I've used the Fit Overs, too, and they're much more convenient than switching between regular glasses and sunglasses...especially if you're in and out of several places in a short time. I agree it's a good thing you haven't gone to double knit slacks...but maybe you should try double knit SHORTS! Maybe lime green or you could get some funky plaid! Add some suspenders. Now there's great style! :-)

Glad Kathie's recovered so well. Hope the knees are workin' better. Enjoy the lake! Looks beautiful in the picture.