Monday, August 17, 2015

Trains!

You might know that I have a thing for trains. They are such fascinating machines, and there is so much interesting history associated with railroads, their construction, and their impacts on our lives. My interest in model trains/electric trains allows me to play in a number of different ways, each of which corresponds to something I enjoy--building things, computers and computing (everything is now controllable with a handheld computer remote), electronics, and the trains themselves. Because I have space for it here at the lake, I've designed a large layout that will allow me to operate a number of trains concurrently and to create interesting scenes. Last fall, I constructed the basic table framework. In June, I was able to install a wiring system to allow flexible distribution of power to tracks, accessories, switches, and other features. I also installed the table tops and put a facia board around the edge to both protect the top and to improve the overall appearance. I'm still debating about whether or not to cover the lower portion of the tables or to leave them open.

The layout is in the overall shape of a U around one of our garages. I left plenty of space in the middle to allow storing our boat during winter months. The U shape allows my largest locomotives to travel in a long loop from one side of the garage along the back to the other side of the garage. There are multiple loops and sidings to provide for several trains to operate or to stand by on sidings. Here are a few photos to give you an idea of the layout. On the left side I intend to create a mountain scene that is elevated above the main table so that I can have a castle scene and a Harry Potter theme. One of the trains I have is a model of the Hogwart's Express from the Potter movies and books. On the main level there will be a tunnel for other trains to pass under a portion of and then around the base of the mountain. Further up the table will be a rail yard with some sidings and railroad structures where I can operate switch engines to assemble or break apart groupings of train cars. In the corner will be a woodland scene with a small lake and maybe some canoeing and camping going on.


Along the back of the garage are four parallel tracks, some of which connect the loops on each side and others of which allow for train rerouting. One track might be used for a metropolitan commuter line or trolly to travel back and forth. Kathie and my sister have helped me think about all of this, and I may paint or in some other way fabricate a flat backdrop of store fronts and other images to contribute to the overall scenery and action.


On the right side, I want to create a small industrial scene of some kind in the corner. Extending forward from there I'll have a residential area and maybe a passenger stop, then a logging operation and forest in the foreground.


I've been able to do most everything so far based on knowledge I already have. Scenery building is where I'll be getting into new areas and will have to develop the skills needed to act on the ideas I stated above. As you can guess, this is lots of fun and involves some serious playing on my part.

2 comments:

Janice Doriguzzi said...

That's awesome! I would love to do something like that with Mike someday, maybe after he retires we will have the time. He likes model railroads, as well. We always have to go to the train museums in the towns we visit! Have you ever been to the one in Sacramento? They have a good one, I've heard! The grandkids and I took a train excursion this summer when I was there for a visit, they used a vintage diesel to pull the train along the Sacramento River. It was fun for all -- although I think I enjoyed it more than the kids did! I'd love to see this in person some day!

Jackie said...

You've been busy! Looks great.