Wednesday, September 02, 2015

Berry Buckle Bust

OK, so I'm going to share a story about one of my many failings, though this one can be corrected. I am a digital subscriber to the New York Times, and along with that subscription, I receive periodic emails with highlights from various sections of the Times. One that I receive comes from the cooking section, and I get lots of interesting ideas about cooking and access to many interesting recipes. Recently, I saw there a recipe by Melissa Clark for a Summer Berry Buckle. You can find the recipe by clicking here, and there is also a video of Melissa preparing and baking one of these goodies. Here is what it is supposed to look like–full of nice berries.


So, I thought it didn't look too hard to do, and I love all kinds of crisps and buckles and similar things. I measured all my dry ingredients, blended them, and set them aside. Then I mixed the sugars and butter and eggs. After that, I'm moving right along and blend my 4½ cups of nice raspberries and blueberries into the mixture and put it in the oven. Forty minutes later (out of a suggested 50 minutes), I gasped with realization that I had not stirred in the dry ingredients. I pulled the baking pan from the oven and saw that all I had was a soupy blend of berries, butter, sugar, and eggs. I was seriously bummed, but Kathie suggested that rather than waste it all I mix in the dry ingredients and resume baking. That is how I came up with the following purple disaster.


It was marginally edible and didn't really taste too bad, but it had a very heavy texture. Jessica always says that when you are cooking and discover an error like this, it is time to open the wine before proceeding to attempt a remedy. I should have had more wine.

I'm ready to try again, and this time I'll endeavor not to forget an important step. I can do better, I think. If I indeed do better, maybe I'll let you know.

3 comments:

Jackie said...

It looks pretty! Just never "set aside" any ingredient(s) too far aside. Better luck next time!

MaggieP said...

I would have had wine before I started. I might give it a go. It looks similar to my recipe for a Berry Clafoutis. Xxx

Betsy said...

Oh dear! The worst thing about this is feeling like you've wasted some good ingredients.
I have a recipe called Blueberry Boy Bait that's pretty yummy and fairly fool-proof.