Friday, July 29, 2022

Light at the End of the Tunnel -- 91.666...% Done!

The 11th of my chemo infusions is now complete. Only one more to go on August 10th! I'll have some follow-up appointments the second week of September, which will include a full CT scan and blood tests. Given the indications up to this point, I anticipate that those results will continue to show a positive outlook. Back in February, when the chemotherapy plan was presented, the expected 24 weeks seemed like a long haul (will have actually turned out to be 27 weeks due to a couple of midterm setbacks). Now, as with so many things in my life when I wonder where the time went, I am nearly finished with the treatment. Thank goodness for modern medicine and the excellent care I have available here at The University of Iowa.

We are looking forward to spending more time at our cabin in Wisconsin. We'll be there this next week, and after the last infusion on the 10th, we intend to spend even more and longer periods of time there.

I haven't had any major woodworking projects underway recently, but I did complete making a small box which incorporates a 4" tile in its lid. I have made some of these before as gifts and have had three extra tiles around, so decided to make the last three of these before turning to other things. I'm going to use different wood for each one. This one is quarter-sawn white oak and presents a frog in its lid. The others will incorporate a butterfly and a lady bug. The boxes are nice for keepsakes or other ideas.



For my next project, I want to make one of these Civil War era folding chairs. Kathie has agreed to make the fabric seat for me. I don't have any particular plans for using the chair or for using it as a gift, but it is a project that will give me some new challenges and techniques to explore.


These chairs were popular prior to the Civil War, since they fold up nearly flat and were thus probably useful in homes for gatherings of various kinds. When the war began, officers started taking them along for use in camps, and this resulted in thousands more of them being made for such use.


That's it for now.

3 comments:

Jackie said...

Yay! You’re almost there. So glad all seems to be leading to a positive outcome. Enjoy your time in Wisconsin!

Kathie said...

Woo-hoo. Doing a happy dance here!

JeanneLL55 said...

Not just a chair… a chair with a great story. Love the box! So happy to hear you are feeling well and almost done with successful treatment!