Wednesday, February 15, 2006

106 Days to Go

Well, I guess I have to get with the program. Two of my offspring are now blogging, and since I'm the original techno-geek in the crowd (my first introduction to computers was in 1965!), I should really be present out here in cyber-space.

Turns out I'm retiring in exactly 106 days. My birthday will be my last day of work for the good old U of I. On that day, I qualify for health care benefits, so I figure, why not bail out while the "gittins" good on the very next day? That will be one month short of 38 full years of employment at the U, but since I actually first experienced the U in 1960 as a band camper, I count 46 years of connection to the institution. That's enough. Time to move on. As a good friend says, "Time to have fun and then die." Time to build things, do photography, play with my grandchild (grandkids, if I get a little more help from the complete set of offspring), travel, read all these books I have piled up, drive my new pickup, whatever....

New pickup! A few weeks ago, I bought a new pickup truck to replace my Volkswagen Beetle. I know! Not quite the same kind of transportation, but I think I need something to haul my lumber, pull my boat up at the lake, and stuff like that. It's a previously unowned, dark cherry red, Chevrolet Colorado with an extended cab. Henry liked riding in it! That's what really matters. He and I will use it to haul lumber to build a treehouse somewhere in the forest out behind our cabin up at the lake in Wisconsin (in a few years).

Well. Look forward to more exciting news here in the future. I'm not going to do the ten year challenge thing. Hell, I can barely remember 5 years ago. Old fartism, you know.

2 comments:

Betsy said...

Yay blog! Did you hear the blog story on npr today? It's their story of the day if you subscribe to that podcast.
I know you said you're not doing it, but I highly reccommend the 10-Years-Ago Challenge! Read Amber's cute entry from the link on my site.

Carrie and Rob said...

That truck is BING cherry red!