Tuesday, December 11, 2007

Lunch with Bob and Lola

I recently received a phone call from Bob and Lola Severin. Bob is my first cousin once removed. For those of you not up on genealogical terms, "once removed" means "in different generations." So, in this case, for example, Bob and my mother were first cousins, making him my first cousin once removed. Bob's children and I would be second cousins.

Anyway, you may recall my dinner recently with Maryann and Barbara. If not, you can click here to read about that. Bob is Maryann and Barbara's uncle, and we had discussed getting together with him sometime. He and his wife, Lola, had to come to Iowa City for an appointment at the VA, so they invited me to meet them for lunch before the appointment.

We had a great time catching up with each other. I doubt that we had seen each other for 25 years or more. Bob used to operate a farm that his father first owned that was just north of the one we lived on near Lowden. So, when I was growing up there, we saw each other from time to time.

Here is a picture of the three of us.

4 comments:

Janice and Mike said...

So, how is Bob related to Aunt Hilda? Is it her son?

W.F. Decker said...

That's correct, Janice. Bob and Vera are Ray and Hilda's kids.

W.F. Decker said...

That's correct, Janice. Bob and Vera are Ray and Hilda's kids.

Janice and Mike said...

IS Vera still alive?