Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Sarah, Turtles and Porcupines

Niece Sarah came to visit for a couple of days while Paula was here. We had lots of fun playing cards, paddling around on the lake, dining out, watching movies, telling stories and laughing. Here is Sarah trying out the kayak we have on loan from another niece.


We went to a favorite local Bavarian-style restaurant for dinner one evening. Naturally, a picture with one of the trolls was required.


We enjoyed dinner along with a terrific view of the lake. Paula and I had sampler plates of authentic German dishes.


Here are Sarah and her dog, Dayton, relaxing on one of the couches.


The next day, Josey appeared at our front door with a treasure she had retrieved from the woods--a painted turtle. She was so proud. During the next few days, we saw quite a few of these guys moving around, including trying to cross the highway into town. Alas, not all of them made it! I know I shouldn't create shadows when I take pictures. I forgot! At least this shot shows a nice sharp image of the creature's colorful underside.


When I picked him up, he would stick his head out and try frantically with his feet to free himself from my grasp.


This is what he did whenever we put him down--try to find a hiding place and get away from us. I thought that Henry, at least, would want to see him in action.



Josey seemed to think she should retrieve him, which we wouldn't let her do, so I carried him down to the lake. The minute I set him down about two feet from the lake, he shot straight for the water and was gone--happier, I think, if not wiser. I think it was the next day that I was doing some work on the boat. I looked down over the bow near the shore and saw an enormous snapping turtle. Its shell must have been at least 18" by 14", and its head was the size of a small cantaloupe. They are very shy and usually try to depart, but I wouldn't have wanted to accidentally corner him and have fingers or toes at stake. I think it must have been turtle week.

Then tonight, there was Josey's chance encounter with a porcupine. She very nearly inspected one a couple years ago up here. This time, she was out of site when Kathie heard her scruffling around in the woods while she was fishing off the dock. The result of this encounter can be seen below. We managed to get them all pulled out--probably two dozen--and not with much cooperation from Josey. She seems a little exhausted now, but we think she is OK.

1 comment:

Janice and Mike said...

Poor Josie!