Thursday, October 11, 2012

Hosting Our Australian Friends Part III

I'm a little behind on my postings, but here goes. To read this particular posting, you have to play the following first:


OK, now that this is out of the way, here we are at Devils Tower National Monument.



We did the 1.5 mile walk around the tower, which provided lots of interesting views, including some of climbers working their way up the face. Murray and I also had to move one boulder out of the way so that we could continue on our walk.


Then it was on to the Black Hills, where we stayed in a very nice B&B out in the hills and woods. That evening we visited Mount Rushmore to see it illuminated in the night.


A Swiss couple operated the B&B (called Coyote Blues; we highly recommend it), and breakfast was excellent and in the style of European breakfasts.


The extra day we spent in the Black Hills involved driving a section of highway which has three tunnels, each of which perfectly frames the Mount Rushmore faces.


Along the way, we happened upon these mountain goats, an unexpected surprise. The number of different species of wild critters we have seen during this vacation is rather amazing.


Of course, we had to visit Mount Rushmore in the daylight hours too. How do you like my new hat? I picked this up in Billings, MT when we were on our way west.



All the states' flags are on display at Rushmore, so I had to get this shot, of course.


I discovered that my iPhone does panoramic shots now, so I played with that from time to time.


The Needles Highway through the Black Hills is very beautiful but also very windy, as our car's navigation system demonstrates for you here.



Finally, we visited the Crazy Horse monument site. I have seen this spot off and on since I was quite young. Progress is exceedingly slow, but there is indeed progress. The face is now finished, and the arm is starting to take shape. Hard to believe that it will ever be done. There is quite an extensive museum on the site too, with the collection dedicated to all of the various Native American tribes and nations.



No comments: