Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Construction

Life has been all about building things lately. Last week, I helped my good friend Richard build a new railing around his deck. We finished all but the top boards, which we will add in the not-too-distant future. There are about 70 linear feet of railing. Working at his home, which is nestled in the woods, was really fun–there were birds galore coming to the feeders constantly while we worked–Orioles, Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Nuthatches, Wrens, Finches, Cardinals, etc. It was shady, cool, and colorful. Hard to find a better place to work.


The week before our Chicago trip, Rob and I dug some holes and poured some footings for a playhouse for Eleanor and Penny. While Rob was busy at his daytime job, I started work on the structure. I began on some rainy days by prefabricating the trusses and house walls. When it finally turned sunny again, I built the base atop the footings.


Then I put the prefabbed walls in place and the trusses atop. Four porch supports were added as well.


While we were in Chicago, Rob got a good start on the siding, as well as the windows and door. He also put the sheeting on the roof.


Over the past weekend, Rob and I worked together. That is fun in and of itself. We finished the gable siding, installed some vents, put quite a bit of the trim in place, and shingled the roof. Took this picture yesterday morning. Rob has lots more to do on his own, now that we are headed for the lake. I'm looking forward to pictures of the girls playing here.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Wanted to wish you a happy birthday yesterday, but I don't seem to have a current email address. So, I'll resort to this a day late. Hope it was a great birthday and you enjoy the new year ahead.