Wednesday, June 01, 2016

Memorial Day Weekend at the Lake

Well, our summer at the lake is off to a rousing start. Will's, Rob's, and Betsy's families all came to spend the time with us. Counting Kathie and me, that was eight adults, six grandchildren, and three dogs. We had a wonderful time, even with mostly rainy days. There was lots of coloring and picture making, including a giant birthday card for me that all six grandkids contributed to.


There was lots of use of the hot tub. We lowered the temperature for the kids, and we even managed to keep it mostly full of water, in spite of lots and lots of splashing and other nonsense.


The porch was a good place for the grandkids to eat. I guess Will thought some supervision was required, although it isn't clear that was needed.


Kathie volunteered to stay home alone with the grandkids one night, so that I could have a birthday dinner with my kids and their spouses at Chippewa Inn. We had a great time, and I understand the grandkids and Kathie did too. She played Blind Man's Bluff with them, which they thoroughly enjoyed, and fixed simple spaghetti and a vegetable that they ate without much fuss. I definitely owe her big time for all of this!


Prior to the mandatory s'mores event out at the fireplace, I got the big kids to pose for me on the deck. Nice, huh? Good looking bunch!


I consider s'mores to be a poor way to enjoy a Hershey's chocolate bar, but I'm always overruled. I guess the roasting of marshmallows, etc. adds to the festivity.



Got this group photo with a self-timed shot from my camera. That's a wonderful bunch of people!


Couldn't resist including this picture of Penny. I don't actually know who took this picture. It might have been Anders, who grabbed my camera at one point and began taking lots of extra shots. Is this a charming granddaughter or what?


Will has an extra part-time job building canoes with a friend. He brought two of them along, one of which is a Rob Roy. A Rob Roy, he tells me, is really a canoe with a covered hull, even though it has a strong resemblance to a kayak. Both were very lightweight. Anders took one out alone. At eight years of age and with all his mom and dad teach him to do, he has already become quite the skillful outdoors person--cycling, cross-country skiing, canoeing, etc.


Clara wanted to try the Rob Roy, and she did very well too.


Shortly before the last family headed home (Betsy's family), I got a little extra lap time with Frederick. Now they are all back at their respective homes, and I miss them. We are looking forward to other visitors this month though. So there will be more stories to tell.

2 comments:

Jackie said...

Looks like a great birthday weekend. Nothing better than spending that day with all your family. I cannot believe how big all the grandkids are. Frederick was just a baby...how did he get so big already? Belated birthday wishes to you, Bill!

Janice Doriguzzi said...

What a wonderful way to spend your birthday! Best wishes!