Sunday, April 29, 2018

Kyoto (After the Cruise)

After our cruise ended, we traveled to Kyoto for a few additional days before heading home.


You know how much I like trains. I really, really like Japan's trains. All of them, including the various city transit options, but most especially the high speed bullet trains called the Shinkansen. We took one to Kyoto from Yokohama, where our cruise concluded. We'll take one back to Tokyo for our flight home. This is the train arriving at Yokohama to pick us up.


Margaret had found an inexpensive place for us to stay while in Kyoto via AirBnB. It is a bit spartan but will serve our needs.


We often stop at coffee shops when wandering around city neighborhoods. One had this charming zen or rock garden.


Colonel Sandars and many other well-known eateries can be found in Japan.


When we were near Kyoto University, I saw this poster. We had gone up that way to find Philosopher's Walk, which is a very pretty, tree-lined path that a KU philosopher professor is said to have used daily. I didn't get any decent pictures of it, I'm sorry to say. It must have been gorgeous when the cherry trees were blooming in this part of Japan in late March.


In some neighborhoods, there are numerous little shops--mostly eateries and souvenir shops. I thought this gentleman fascinating.


While in Japan, Murray and I may have had a few of these.


I forgot to rotate this shot, so turn your head sideways, please. Another fun bento box type of lunch that I enjoyed.


Stores have lots of colorful displays of products and food available. I liked this one.


A rainstorm passed by while we had dinner, and the view to the north of the setting sun was really pretty.

No comments: