Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Shimizu

Internet service aboard these cruise ships is spotty. I've had some trouble with uploading photographs, so be advised that while I'll try to post regularly, I may not always be able to do so.

Further impressions of Japan:
  • Trees: The Japanese love their trees. I love trees. Accordingly, this is a place where I can feel great peace, reverence, and comfort. The Japanese protect important trees. They groom many of their trees and, in fascinating ways, lovingly support and prop struggling or endangered trees, particularly old ones. I have always loved ginkgo trees, and there are lots of them here. I wish I had taken a photograph--we saw one ginkgo with a trunk that must have been four or five feet in diameter and with a canopy that reached 45 or 50 feet or more. I've also seen gorgeous cedars, pines, and lots and lots of shades of green.
  • Trains: Trains in Japan hold to their published schedules exceedingly well. If a train is ever off its schedule by more than a minute, I'd be very surprised. We have heard, in fact, that apologies are made if a train fails to be on time.
  • Honorable, comfortable religious views: 99% of the Japanese are faithful to both the Buddhist and Shinto religions. You will see photographs of the shrines and temples we have visited. I feel especially good about what I've learned regarding Shintoism, which has been described to us as being more a way of life than a religion. Shintoism is apparently not so much about deities as it is about reverence for nature, respect for the past, and the sharing of good wishes for well being and happiness. Buddhism seems to advocate compassion, mercy, wisdom, love, and adherence to morality and philosophy. I can relate to ideas like these that do not force me to believe in something supernatural.
  • Vowels: I love the sounds of the Japanese language. Consonants are nearly always followed by vowels, and much conversation or speech feels lyrical. Thank-yous and words of assistance or guidance sound especially sincere, earnest, or helpful.

Continuing on with our adventure, we were able to work our way from Tokyo to the port at Yokohama with no problems. Below is a view from the veranda of our cabin aboard the Celebrity Millennium.


We were treated to a sendoff by a local brass band that was just sensational. They were exceptionally polished, spot-on with their performance, and fun. For an old "band guy" like me, it was hard not to feel teary at the sound.


Overnight, we reached Shimizu. Our tour took us up above the city. You can see the port here and may note our ship in the left-hand, middle of this picture.


Mt. Fuji was to have been a special treat for us, but the weather didn't cooperate--too many clouds. We did get just a peek at the peak (!). I've tried to help you spot it in the picture below. I expect that on a good day, the view would be spectacular.


Along the coast, lots of strawberries are grown in hothouses. We eventually found some to try, and they are sensational to the taste buds.


A cable car took us to the Kunozan Toshogu Shrine, which honors Tokogawa Ieyasu, who was instrumental in unifying Japan and transferring the capital from Kyoto to Tokyo.


All shrines are entered via a gate shaped like the one seen here.


Dogs or lion-like creatures usually guard each side of these gates--one is female and the other male. This is the female at this shrine.


These shrines typically have numerous, serene, peaceful areas and gorgeous temples.



I thought son Will would like to see some Japanese craftsmen working with Japanese saws (as did I). They were making bamboo lanterns for a special ceremony at the shrine to occur a day or two after we were there.



The resting place of Tokogawa Ieyasu's ashes is found after climbing many, many steep stairs.


Windsocks are seen frequently. On May 5th, a "children's' day" is observed, and carp windsocks like these are hoisted.


Later, we visited an ancient pine grove near the sea.



We have ordered shrimp a couple of times and were surprised to be served tiny, tiny shrimp like these. They are fully intact (heads, tails, shells and all) and are fried and eaten whole. They are no more than an inch or so in size. I guess one has to request prawns or something else to get what we would more typically think of as shrimp. We are enjoying trying lots of things here and are beginning to understand why the Japanese are more slender and fit--their diets are very well balanced and probably much more nutritious than are ours.


Anyone who knows me will know of my love for raisins. I found some, bought them and can state that they are sensational here in Japan--hochi bud. If I have any left to bring home with me, I'll be making some oatmeal/hoshi bud cookies or will cook up some oatmeal and hoshi bud with brown sugar for breakfast.


1 comment:

Janice Doriguzzi said...

Vary interesting! I am enjoying my armchair view of Japan!