Thursday, March 01, 2012

Still Stranded!

The snow finally quit falling during the middle afternoon. Because it was fairly warm (just above freezing), the snow was quite heavy. This weight and the depth of it kept our neighbor, who usually keeps our driveway plowed, from being able to move the snow with his ATV-mounted equipment. So, our road and our driveway still have not been cleared. There is hope, however, that our neighbor's friend, who has a tractor-mounted blower and plow, will be able to get here today to free us. Until then, we aren't going anywhere.

I did lots of scooping yesterday. I cleared our two entryways and made areas for the dogs to get out, and I scooped the snow off our lake stairs. You may ask why I would bother to do the latter, since we obviously aren't going down to the lake to do any boating. The reason is that I like being able to get down that way to go snowshoeing or skiing on the lake. I also managed to get our car unburied yesterday afternoon. It had about 15" of snow all over it, which I brushed off. Then I cleared about 3' of space all around the car so that when our driveway is plowed, the car can be freed too. Needless to say, I got quite a bit of exercise yesterday of a sort different from my walks or snowshoe or skiing trips.


Tighe continues to bound around in the snow, and unfortunately, he loves to harass the birds. I've been feeding them lots of sunflower seeds, which they seem to be especially grateful for just now.


Our good neighbors invited us for dinner last night. It is a relatively short walk—something like two or three city blocks. During the afternoon, I attempted to mash down a path by walking over there with my snowshoes. It still was not easy walking, but here is Kathie in the pretty snow as we make our way over there.


The neighbors have a metal roof on their home, and the snow was starting to slide off in big sheets, so I had to get a picture of that. We were sure not to slam the door when we entered.


Here is one more look at the lake across our back deck. These pictures always give us a feeling for the amount of snowfall based on the depth of the stacking of snow on the railing.


No comments: