Sunday, July 07, 2013

A Birthday, A Project and A Jazz Fest Weekend

A few days ago, we got together with Eleanor and her family to belatedly celebrate her sixth birthday. She is in a science camp this summer, so we thought she could make good use of a microscope. I'm waiting to hear about all of her discoveries.


Finished a couple of projects recently, including this bed. I came across the plan awhile ago and found it interesting because of its use of two contrasting kinds of wood, inlays, and other features. Quite different from our usual furniture choices, but we think it looks nice in one of our guest bedrooms. I may try to come up with a matching night stand design and build one or two of those also.


Nearly nine years ago, I made a little step stool for first grandchild Henry, which allowed him to wash his hands and brush his teeth at the grown-ups bathroom sink. Since then, I've made another for each additional grandchild and also a couple for friends. Thank goodness I made a template from the first one, so I can crank these out pretty rapidly now. So, here is Frederick's made from the last of some red oak that I acquired from a good friend.


Like Betsy says, his blue eyes and blond hair may be here for good.


With Betsy's family here for the Independence Day weekend and Jazz Fest, we decided to have a cookout on Saturday. Betsy and Henry played some bean bag toss.


I think Betsy may actually have plunked one directly into the target hole on this toss. Nice form!


Grilled some yummy pork and hot dogs.


With the hot temperatures and humidity, the Slip-n-Slide water toy was a big hit.



Penny didn't seem to mind that the water from the hose was cold. She just walked right through the sprinkles.


Betsy tried out this old swing. I saved the round wooden seat from years ago when we all lived on Court Street, and now it hangs from a new rope in an oak tree at our present home.


A good day for water toys!


No comments: