Friday, July 26, 2013

Unwanted Hot Tub Visitors

After arriving back at the lake, I decided to refill the hot tub. However, I quickly discovered that some unwanted guests had decided to build a home at the intersection of the external tub wall and the frame that is a part of the lift for the cover. This hornet nest was about the size of a large cantaloupe, and the inhabitants were not having any part of my desire to refill the tub, lift the lid, or anything else involving my presence. So, much as I appreciate and try to respect nature, they had to go. Use of a little wasp and hornet spray quickly did them in, after which I was able to scrape the nest off–it was quite securely attached to all the surfaces it touched. However, several of the occupants, who were away at the time, kept returning and were very confused. They were not happy about the situation, but after a couple days, they seem to have moved on.


As these guys were primarily black and white, I believe they were bald-faced hornets, about which you can read more by clicking here. I also found a YouTube video that someone took of the inside of such a nest. One had been built on a window of her house so that she was safely able to make a video recording of the inside of it through the glass. Click here to see that if you like.

P.S. The hot tub is now back in action.

P.P.S. The nest, after I threw it into the woods, was something Tighe did not like. He barked and growled at it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Beauty in nature but I wouldn't share my space with those guys either. Sometimes we have to give in to our "survival of the fittest" nature and clear out the "less fit"! Those that survived will find/build a new home...hopefully in the woods.

P.S. Tighe is one smart boy!

Jackie said...

Last comment was by me.