Wednesday, September 04, 2013

Garage II

You know how one thing can lead to another? Remember that new bigger boat? Well, getting it into our existing garage was going to require some changes. It might have been possible to enlarge the door to that garage so that the boat could be backed in, but even then the boat would have consumed all the available interior space with little, if any, room for maneuvering or other storage. So, we decided to add a second garage. This one will stand between the current garage and the road to our property (that is, further away from the lake), and it will be larger, of course. In fact, it will be large enough for the new boat, additional storage, and vehicle parking, especially in the winter. In past winters, the boat has filled the garage, so that when we were here, we had to leave any vehicle outside. This has been somewhat inconvenient, given the big snowfalls we have experienced the last few years.

Anyway, enough rationalizing. Excavation and grading started yesterday, and so I can share some early pictures. I love watching big equipment like this at work. Skilled operators make the backhoe arm seem like an extension of the operator's arm and hand. Next steps will involve fill, packing and then the pouring of the new garage floor. That should happen in the next few work days.





Oh, did I mention that the new garage will be finished on the inside? That will give us options for temporary sleeping space for guests or for me to store my electric trains or even make larger train layouts! I know, I know. Boys and their toys.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

At the end I almost thought you were going to say "sleeping room for guests or me when I get in trouble"! Glad that's not what you really wrote. :)

P.S. That's gonna be one awesome garage!