Monday, June 11, 2012

Dogs and Cycling

Happy Birthday to Josey! She is 14 years old today. Frankly, she is showing it, and her behavior is sometimes a little strange. Kathie thinks she exhibits dementia sometimes, because she can be quite anxious, hides, refuses to go on walks with us (very unusual), and has done other things I won't mention here. Nevertheless, the old girl has been the most nearly perfect dog I have ever known, and this is coming from someone who is not a big dog lover. Here she is surveying the situation down on the dock.


Meanwhile, Gomer (or I should say Tighe) spends time whenever possible leaping into the lake and thrashing about. Then he comes to the house all wet and seems to think it is OK to try drying off by going around the sofa and rubbing against it. Sigh....


On another topic, some of you may know that I've been working hard at losing weight since early last November. I've lost 30 pounds and am quite close to my goal weight. My doctor was very happy with me at my last physical. Part of my effort has been regular exercise. Through the winter, back in Iowa, I spent 40 minutes each day on my treadmill. Here at the lake, I'm trying to get back into cycling, which you may know I used to do avidly in the 1980s and early 1990s. I'm really enjoying my rides so far. I started slow with six mile loops, but now I've worked up to rides of 20 miles and more—I completed a 21 mile ride this morning, for example. It feels great, and there are so many pretty places to ride. I'm finding new routes day by day. Kathie is riding with me sometimes too and has already done some of the six mile rides. She took these two shots of me this morning as I got myself ready to go.


This dumb T-shirt actually makes it look like I've gained weight! You will have to trust me when I say that I've actually lost quite a bit of weight. The jury is out yet as to whether or not I'll be able to keep it off, but so far so good!


1 comment:

Jackie said...

Very proud of you, Bill, you look great. Happy Birthday to Josey!