Friday, June 22, 2012

Staining the Cabin

Seems like we just did this, but it has been five years already! We are staining our cabin again; the garage was finished up last week. I had to take the shutters down, and I discovered three bats living behind three different ones of them. They had left a bit of a mess too that needed some scraping and the attention of the power washer. Several years ago, I put up two bat houses on the west side of the garage, so I had to temporarily disturb them there as well. Maybe a dozen bats flew away in disoriented fashion when I took those houses down. I think they are back safely at rest again though, now that the houses are back in place. I love having bats around, since they eat lots of mosquitoes and deer flies, but I prefer to have them in a bat house and not behind a shutter. So, I'm thinking of putting up an additional bat house on a tall pole somewhere close to the top of our dock steps. Watching them in the evening would be fun.

In the case of the cabin, we started by power washing most all of it to get dirt, bugs, and old loose stain off. With so much rain recently, we have had to allow for plenty of drying time, but yesterday we were able to stain the upper level of the lake side and all of the screened porch end of the cabin. Today, I hope we can finish the woods side of the cabin and maybe the lower level on the lake side. I'll need to borrow an extension ladder to finish the west end, since that is where the tallest peak of the roof is located.

Where the sun and weather have beaten hardest on the house, the stain is really being soaked up. Maybe we should have done this a couple years ago. I'll keep closer tabs in the future. Finally, I'll repair and restain the shutters, and then they can go back up.



No comments: