Saturday, August 11, 2012

Not My Best Day

Not even 3,000 miles logged on my new pickup yet, and a deer decided to blast out of the woods and collide with my left front corner this morning while I was driving our garbage and recyclables to the local drop-off point. The nice couple that came up behind me stopped and said they had seen it all. They agreed there was nothing I could have done to avoid this and helped me pick up all the shards off the road. It is still drivable, although the front seat belts are now locked up and the air bag (which didn't deploy) requires at least a reset (the truck is complaining about its condition). We filed our insurance claim and will get the truck back home for repairs this coming Monday.

It was interesting to experience the OnStar service. They called me right away on the pickup and said they had detected a collision and problem. They knew right where I was located and were very insistent about making sure I was OK—must have asked me five times if I needed medical attention or assistance. I suppose they have to make sure someone is not in shock and providing incorrect responses. I also got an email from them detailing some messages from the pickup about the airbag needing attention.

In the grand scheme of things, this is not something about which to be very concerned. Other folks have lots more pressing issues to deal with. However, I'm feeling pretty sad about this nice new truck, which I was attempting to give extra care and attention to keep it nice as well as all the inconvenience these kinds of things create.


2 comments:

Dick Sjolund said...

Oh No !!!

I am so sorry to hear about your truck ....

How was the deer ?

I hope that the repairs work out OK. It is such a great truck!

Dick Sjolund

Jackie said...

Well, you can sure say the truck is now completely broken in! I know the sick feeling you get when a brand new vehicle gets damaged. If it helps, my mom bought a new car in June and last week had the right side mirror smashed. Also put some scratches in the body and window frame. She wasn't happy either. They'll get both vehicles fixed and they will be just like new. Glad you were okay...that's most important.