Friday, August 10, 2012

Railroading in WI

(It is OK if you decide, after reading this, that the writer of these stories has too much free time on his hands!)

I decided to relocate my Lionel model trains to the lake this year. There are two reasons. One is that it gives me something interesting to do when it is raining or when we are not fishing or otherwise having fun. Second, we have a nice big room in the lower level that lends itself to creating a really nice layout, though I've promised not to leave it assembled indefinitely. Anyway, I finally got around to setting it up, and so I thought I'd share a couple of videos with you.

The first video shows the basic layout with one of the trains operating. I have lots of work yet to do with wiring and creating scenery, and I want to make some adjustments to the table shape, but you can get the general idea. I've also begun to play with my new computer-based controls, which are quite flexible and which allow me to operate multiple trains and other features simultaneously.



The second video is intended especially for my grandkids. I mounted my iPhone on the front of one of my engines, set it to take a video, and then ran it around the track. You'll get the idea when you watch it.

3 comments:

Rob said...

Where did you find the gooberish old man for the layout?

Betsy said...

Clara said "I want to run that!" and they both got quite a giggle out of the second video. Clara especially also enjoyed seeing pinball in the background.

Stensvaag said...

Fun! Enjoyed seeing the skinny man at the controls.