Sunday, February 07, 2016

Another Book

I recently wrote here about Pillar of Fire, a book that made me think about certain parallels and also some differences between past and present events.  In particular, that book made me think quite a lot about the horrible forms of prejudice and inattention to civil rights that were so prevalent into and beyond the 1960s. Although I would like to think things have improved in some regards, there is certainly still far too much prejudice, fear, and bigotry. I see this in the unwarranted maliciousness directed at President Obama, in attitudes toward non-Christians, in our attitudes toward and treatment of people of color, and in the behaviors these things elicit in each of us but especially in our politicians and elected representatives.

Then, just a week or so ago, I finished another book that I found quite interesting and that made me think further about these kinds of parallels. This latest book is entitled 1944: FDR and the Year That Changed History by Jay Winik. In part, I was drawn to the book because 1944 was my birth year, but I have also always found historical accounts of the first half of the 1900s, including the events surrounding the two world wars, interesting. Also, this book includes such a detailed account of the treatment of Jews by the Nazi regime, that I think it could well have included a subtitle to that effect. I thought I knew quite a lot about these issues from prior reading, but I learned so much more, and that leads me to some additional comments here.


The book includes a rather detailed treatment of how information began to leak out of Germany regarding death camps and the mass executions that were occurring even in the years prior to 1944 when things turned significantly worse. Then in turn, the book discusses the reactions to the leaked information, notably the denial and lack of substantive response. Some put their energy behind refugee programs and changes to immigration policy, but we all know that far far too little resulted from those efforts.

And this is where I again returned to thinking about the parallels between past and present events. We have all been bombarded recently with attitudes and comments about immigration policy and our borders. Many of the Republican candidates are absolutely awful in their thinking about these issues. We have also been hearing about the plight of Syrian refugees and the associated problems they face in Europe and elsewhere, as well as the suffering of those who would immigrate through our own southern border. There may indeed be reason, as there was in the 1940s, to have some concern about the possible introduction of undesirable elements. However, I have to ask, where is our humanity and our care and concern for others? Have we learned nothing since the 1940s?

I know it is too easy for me to form my opinions and to voice my criticisms while I sit in the relative isolation of the midwest. Yet, I want my country (that's us!) to live up to its ideals, and I think we don't do this with isolationist attitudes, unfounded religious justifications, vociferous expressions, and obvious displays of hate.

1 comment:

Jackie said...

Very well said, Bill. You keep adding to my reading list - thank you! I am ashamed of the things we are hearing from the Republican candidates regarding immigration (and many other issues), especially from those who tout themselves as evangelical or "Christian". What happened to the Christian tenets of helping those less fortunate and caring for others-especially those who are suffering the most. It reminds me of their position on banning abortion but not following through to help mothers and children thrive throughout their lives by providing health care, helping with childcare, providing well paying jobs for the parents, etc. You just can't have it both ways! Our society still has a lot of work to do.